After reading the post Is taking a shidduch to Starbucks too cliche? on the frumsatire blog, I decided to write up a list of 10 things you can do on a date that are relatively cheap. I think that Starbucks is a good idea, but I guess that can get old. Here is a list of ideas:
1) Dunkin Donuts instead of Starbucks (ok, I'm being corny, but I had too!)
2) go to F.A.O. Schwartz. That's alot of fun. I've been there on a date, and I had alot of fun. The enormous toys and the cute children were great conversation starters. I told about a million babysitting stories and stories about how much I used to love barbies. :). Also, this would be a great place to bring up the question "what would you do if you had all the money in the world" !
3) Take your date to Coldstone Creamery. The place has incredibly amazing ice cream. Its the same thing as Starbucks but instead of coffee, ice cream, which is greatly appreciated (except by the girls on diets, but who really cares about them?!).
4) Go Bowling. This may be an annoying issue because of the whole wearing other people's shoes thing.
5) ESPN Zone. I ALWAYS wanted to be taken to an arcade on a date. Its not expensive, its alot of fun, and casual!
6) If in the summer go boating in Prospect Park or for a Nature walk at Marine Park (never been, but heard it was absolutely gorgeous. Just make sure she knows and wears comfy shoes!)
7) Brooklyn Botanical Garden/NY Acquarium/Bronx Zoo
8) Ice Skating is alot of fun...make sure she knows in advnaced that you're taking her ice skating, so she knows to take socks.
9) Miniature golf. There are some indoor places around the city (I heard) so this should be ok for all seasons.
10) Go Painting at Plaster Gallery, or go to a place in the city like My Name is Mud (is it still open?)
11) This isn't an "original" idea, but a great place to take a date, is to Benny's Glatt on Ave M and Ocean Ave...OMG...that place is amazingly delicious, and really inexpensive. The shish kabobs are to die for!!
12) Target shooting. Yes, its guns, but oh how much fun that would be!!!!! (says me, whose never been shooting, lol) I have no idea if this is expensive or not, but its definitly original and probably alot of fun...will probably also lead to interesting discussions on people who are being imagined while shooting ;).
Any other ideas? I do sometimes get asked what to do, and I never know!